DC provided a written submission of recommendations to the Government of British Columbia for the 2020 budget. These recommendations included:
1. Adjust Diet Supplement rates to reflect actual
incremental costs of evidence-based nutrition interventions, above a basic healthy diet.
- Current rates are not adequate to support evidence-based nutrition interventions prescribed by dietitians, based on analysis of current food costs and assistance rates.
2. Invest $500,000 to pilot dietitian staffing in mental health clinics.
Review the 2020 pre-budget submission
- A large and growing body of evidence shows the need for dietitians in mental health and primary care teams.
- Investment in dietitian staff positions in mental health clinics and primary care, supported by planned evaluation, is a wise use of health system resources.